Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Apple & Oatmeal


Fall in New England means lots of apples and I've been trying to find various recipes to use up some apples that just aren't that great for everyday eating.  But they are great for baking.  I'd made another apple cookie last month and it was missing something.  I decided what it needed was oatmeal.  So I looked for a good recipe and then found some great apples at the orchard--Yellow Newtown Pippens. I'd never had or heard of them before, but they are a tart-to-sour apple perfect for baking.


I got this recipe from one of my favorite recipe swapping websites, Mixingbowl.com.  It's a social network for cooks, and I've gotten a ton of yummy recipes from the generous cooks who share their recipes (I share too--if you head over, look me up under cookieprincess).  This recipe was posted by Kitchen Chatter as Oatmeal Apple Cookies and she lists her source as Pat Duran.

I have made some changes to this recipe, and if I were to make it again I would make other changes.  The cookies were good, but Dave and I thought the cranberries didn't really do anything for the cookie.  So I would leave them out next time and add more apple to really feature this as an apple flavored cookie.

Apple & Oatmeal


3/4 cup shortening (or butter or margarine)
1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup peeled, diced apples (tart apples work best)
3/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
3/4 cup chopped nuts (I did not use in this recipe)
3 cups quick cooking oats (not instant or old fashioned)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F for a dark, non-stick pan.  Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla, scraping sides of bowl when necessary; mix until well blended.


In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.  Mix thoroughly into creamed mixture.  Stir in fruit and nuts (if using).  Stir in oats (In the future, I would add the oats to my flour mixture and combining at the same time). 


On a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet, drop by spoonfuls (I use a small cookie scoop) about 2 inches apart.  If you don't have parchment or a silicone baking mat, grease your cookie sheet.


Bake for 12 minutes.  Turn baking sheet 180 degrees halfway through. If using more than one sheet at a time, rotate positions in the oven for more even baking.  Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then move to complete cooling on rack.

Makes 6 dozen.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

Printer Friendly Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment