Thursday, February 3, 2011

Whoopie Pies



I'm embarrassed that I don't have more photos for you.  Since I made these at my mom's house, being out of my own kitchen and trying to orchestrate making a bunch of desserts with my sister, a pile of food and appetizers for dinner, watching a football game with my mom and having 3 kids running around, photos just weren't going to happen.  But I definitely plan on making these again, so I'll take oodles of photos then. 

These were amazing.  Everyone loved them--kids and adults.  And I couldn't get over how much they tasted like bakery whoopie pies.  The recipe is from a recent Penzey's Spices catalog and I didn't change anything about it.  The pies are so cakey and delicious and the marshmallow filling is truly authentic, although difficult to work with.  I piped it onto the pies and ended up putting on more than I should have.  It wasn't as thick as I would have liked, and the tops kept slipping off.  I actually used skewers to keep the tops on until they set up a little bit.  I may play with the filling to get a balance of marshmallow and butter cream.  I decided to roll mine in sprinkles, and a few of them I even dipped partially in ganache (leftover from Amy's dessert).  I would have dipped more, the filling was so slippery that they were too hard to handle for dipping.


Whoopie Pies


Ingredients (for the cake part)

1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, beat the egg and vegetable oil.  Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until pale yellow in color.   In another bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.  In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk and the vanilla.

While mixing, alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the egg and sugar, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.

Drop the batter onto parchment or silicone lined baking sheets (I used a medium cookie scoop).  These spread a lot, so I only put 6 cakes per sheet. 

Baker at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, until the tops spring back to the touch. Turn baking sheet 180 degrees halfway through. If using more than one sheet at a time, rotate positions in the oven for more even baking.


Remove to wire racks to cool.


Ingredients (for filling)


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and beat until light and fluffy.



When cakes are cool, spread or pipe filling onto the bottom of one cake. Top with another cake to make a sandwich.

Makes 12 pies.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment