Monday, April 4, 2011

Donut Muffins


I love these muffins.  They are amazing and they really do taste like cake donuts.  These are a go-to breakfast staple, great for bake sales and taking to parties or the office and are a yummy dessert or snack, too.  They are super easy to make--I whisk together the wet ingredients and then do the rest with a wooden spoon or spatula.

Another recipe from Jean Childress' Country Kitchen Muffin Cookbook, they are traditionally made with a cinnamon sugar topping.  I opted to change it up one time when visiting my sister. I told her I would make these for breakfast, but since she doesn't like cinnamon (she's aware that she is weird),  she asked if I could put chocolate frosting on them.  Since that's my favorite cake donut, I thought it was an excellent idea.  Ever since, I usually make about half with cinnamon sugar and half with frosting and sprinkles.

Donut Muffins

Wow, that's a pretty terrible shot.  Sorry!

Ingredients

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Cream oil, sugar and egg. 


Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. 


Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk and combine.


Pour batter into a greased muffin pan. 


Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.  Immediately remove from pan and place on wire racks. 


Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. 


Roll the tops in melted butter, then in cinnamon sugar.




Optional: Spread prepared frosting on muffin tops and garnish with sprinkles.







Makes 12 muffins.


Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment