Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blueberry Bread


Please excuse the paper plated picture.  I took this bread on a trip and therefore didn't have my usual white plate prop.  At least I remembered to photograph it before it was completely consumed!

I love this bread.  I like it more than my Banana Nut Bread, and I like that a lot.  It's got a coffee cake-like texture, and the tang of the orange juice combining with the sweetness of the blueberries really does it for me.  Sometimes I'll make up a loaf to give as a hostess gift (who wants to make breakfast the morning after a party?), and it's always a crowd pleaser.  Or I'll take it for a weekend away.  Or we'll hoard it at home by ourselves.

This recipe comes from Mixing Bowl, posted by lakergirl.  The only change I made was to add vanilla to the batter, which helps develop the flavor from the blueberries.  It's a pretty quick recipe, and either frozen or fresh blueberries will work.

Blueberry Bread


Ingredients
2 cups flour, sifted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup orange juice
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.


In another bowl, mix together butter, water, orange juice, egg and vanilla.


Add wet ingredients to dry and gently fold until just mixed.  Be careful not to overmix the batter.


Gently fold in blueberries.


Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and pour batter into pan.


Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-70 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Turn out onto cooling rack placed on top of a cutting mat.



Glaze


Ingredients
2 Tablespoons orange juice
2 Tablespoons. honey
1 teaspoon orange zest

Just before the bread is finished baking, boil orange juice, honey and zest for 1 minute in small sauce pan.  


While bread is still warm, drizzle glaze over the top.


Makes 1 loaf.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

Printer Friendly Recipe

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment