Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins


So not my best moment in the kitchen.  I'm not sure how to classify these.  They tasted awesome (I really thing a scoop of vanilla ice cream with one of these guys crumbled in the bowl would be amazing), but the visual execution was a complete FAIL.  I think my problem was that the recipe stated it made 12 muffins, but I probably could have made 15 and been successful.  The batter was very full in the muffin tin, so when they rose in the oven, they stuck to the stoneware and were a mess to get out of the pan.

This casualty was super yummy, but I didn't think about adding ice cream until I finished it.




Dave and I were headed out on vacation and I had a pint of blueberries to use before we left.  I considered making bread, but it was hot and I didn't want the oven on for that long.  And since I'd had other ingredients in the fridge to use up, a quick consultation of Jean Childress' Country Kitchen Muffin Cookbook led me to find all the ingredients for these muffins were right at my fingertips.  Since clearly these muffins are not quite right, my future suggestions would be to 1) make 15 muffins instead of 12; and 2) be sure to use a slightly chilled stick of butter for the crumb topping, as opposed to spreadable soft butter from the tub.  (Hey, we were headed out of town--I was trying to use EVERYTHING in the fridge).

Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins


Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and picked over for stems

Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in an electric mixer.


In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.  Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk and sour cream.  Mix until combined.


Fold in blueberries.



Spoon batter evenly into a greased muffin tin.  Sprinkle with crumb topping (below).


Crumb Topping


Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, slightly chilled (not the soft, spreadable kind pictured)
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all ingredients together, cutting butter into dry ingredients and creating crumbs (as opposed to the paste-like topping I ended up with).


Sprinkle evenly on top of each muffin.


Bake muffins at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes (my ginormous muffins had to bake for 34 minutes).


Remove from oven.  Allow to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then move to wire racks to complete cooling or serve immediately.


Makes 12-15 muffins.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

Printer Friendly Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment