Thursday, July 7, 2011

Strawberry Bread


Possibly the quickest quick bread I've got.  Besides being delicious, this came together very quickly and as long as you've got strawberries, you probably have all the other ingredients on hand as well. It would be a great loaf to bake up for a Sunday brunch or even to take to a friend in need.  At first I was skeptical of the cinnamon and strawberry flavors together but it was wonderful.  Very flavorful, moist and makes the whole house smell good.

This recipe comes from the Penzey's Spice catalog, but since I only have the page and not the whole catalog, I don't know who it's from or when I found it.  The only alteration I made was using less sugar on my strawberries.  Since I'd picked them straight from a local farm and they were super red and sweet, I didn't feel the need to add all the sugar to the berries, but I listed the original recipe below.  Use your judgement.  You could probably make this bread with frozen berries, but I'd use whole berries, thawed and sliced, rather than sliced berries in syrup.



Strawberry Bread

Oops, I forgot to add the sugar to the ingredient picture.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar, divided (not pictured)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted but cooled

Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Place in a non-metallic bowl and add up to 1/2 cup sugar. (I used 2 Tablespoons since my strawberries were so sweet.  Add at least some sugar to pull out the juices.)


In a large mixing bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.


In another bowl, beat the eggs until foamy then add vanilla extract.  Add cooled melted butter, whisking constantly to temper eggs (this prevents the heat from the melted butter from turning your eggs into scrambled).  Stir in the strawberries.




Combine the two mixtures, blending until dry ingredients are combined and moistened.


Scrape batter into a lightly grease loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove the pan and cool on wire rack for 20 minutes.



Then remove loaf from pan and cool completely.


Makes 1 loaf.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

Printer Friendly Recipe

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colleen,
    Your Strawberry Bread is so good and I really enjoyed making it, we just loved it. I enjoyed getting to visit your blog and get to know you for this months Secret Recipe Club!
    Miz Helen
    SRC Group B

    ReplyDelete