Thursday, August 11, 2011

Coconut Chocolate Chunk Blondies


You may remember that I'm not a big fan of coconut.  Dave is, so I succumb and will make different cookies and such with coconut for him (and others) to enjoy, but generally speaking I'll pass on those treats and reach for the straight up chocolate yummies every time.

But then I found this recipe and coconut and I became buddies.  These are seriously good.  Brown Eyed Baker said they tasted a lot like a Girl Scout Samoa cookie (minus the caramel), so I was sold and had to test them out (yes, Samoas are one of my favorite Girl Scout cookies--right behind Thin Mints.  So much for me not liking coconut).  These did turn out awesome.  There is a sweetness to the bar which is at the same time crunchy and moist with a lot of flavor.  I used some leftover ganache to spread across the top, but the original topping is listed below too.

Dave and I both thought these were even better the second day.  The only thing I did different from the original recipe was use 1 teaspoon of vanilla instead of 1 1/2, but that's only because I wasn't paying attention.  The original recipe is below.  Now, if I could just figure out how I'm going to get the caramel on these bars, coconut and I will live happily ever after.

Note: So I was just about to type up the recipe below and I look and see that the recipe calls for 4 ounces of butter.  Yeah, I totally used 4 Tablespoons of butter.  Oops.  (For the record, 4 ounces is equal to 8 Tablespoons, or one stick.)  I guess that's why my batter was so thick (thicker than I thought it should have been).  Clearly I need to start paying attention to my recipes a little more.  Either way, if you want to use half the butter and put a little more elbow grease into stirring your batter, I think it totally works.  Just be aware because Paula Dean may be out there somewhere cursing you for skimping on the butter. 

Coconut Chocolate Chunk Blondies


Ingredients

1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 stick of butter (4 to 8 Tablespoons), melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chocolate chunks (or chips)

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Set aside.


In large bowl, whisk together butter and sugar until smooth.  Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended.



Slowly stir in the flour mixture until blended, then stir in coconut and chocolate chips.



Spread batter evenly into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan.


Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until set in center but still soft.  Don't overbake.  Let cool slightly before spreading on or drizzling with chocolate topping.


Chocolate Topping

Ingredients

1 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon butter

Combine chocolate chips and butter in a small bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth.  Spread or drizzle over bars.


Allow bars to cool completely before cutting.

Makes 16 bars.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

Printer Friendly Recipe

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This blog is always trouble. Delicious, delicious, chocolatey trouble. I was sitting around this evening craving baked goods and I decided to see what the Cookie Princess recommended. These looked simple and quick, and I had all the ingredients so I went for it. I did use the proper amount of butter & vanilla (so as not to incur the wrath of Paula Deen), and I baked them in a full sized muffin tin (perfect portions and half the clean up!)for 23 mins. They're AMAZING. You rock. I heart coconut.

    ReplyDelete