Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chunky Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies


It's been a while since I've made cookies.  And since bananapalooza continued in my freezer, I thought these would be a nice treat to use some of them.  Dave, Cindy and I had a hard time describing these cookies.  They are delicious and soft, but the texture is unlike any other cookie I've made.  Moist and chewy aren't even the right words to describe them. They aren't cakey or airy.  They're supple and have a very nice mouthfeel (besides awesome flavor).  They're almost like a denser muffin top.  Ok, so since I can't describe them, you'll just have to make them yourself to figure out what I'm talking about!

The combination of banana, chocolate and walnuts isn't new but the delivery of these fine friends in a wonderful cookie is enjoyable.  Perhaps the texture came from the mixing method--I threw caution to the wind and followed the recipe by mixing all the "wet" ingredients (butter, sugar, bananas, eggs, vanilla) together without creaming the butter and sugar first.  It went against all my instincts but I had to try it out.  The original recipe, from Better Crocker, also called for vanilla frosting, but I don't think they need it.  I also didn't have it.  I did have a smattering of chocolate frosting and used it up on a few cookies, but they were fine without the extra decorations.  Even though I used my medium cookie scoop, I still got more cookies than the recipe called, so you could probably go bigger.  These would be a fun back to school treat, perfect for a bake sale, or tuck the recipe away for holiday baking.


Chunky Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients

2 ripe medium banans
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

Mash banana and add to a bowl with sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs.  Beat with an electric mixer (or stand mixer) on medium speed until well blended.


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.


Add to banana mixture and stir until combined.  Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. 



On a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet, drop by spoonfuls (I used a medium cookie scoop) about 2 inches apart.



Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10-12 minutes.  Turn baking sheet 180 degrees halfway through. If using more than one sheet at a time, rotate positions in the oven for more even baking.   


Remove from oven and cool on pans for 1-2 minutes.  Move cookies to wire rack to cool completely.


Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

Printer Friendly Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment