Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Blondies with Pecan Pie Topping


Yummy!  And an original recipe, although based in part on the standard Blondies recipe. This is what happens when frugality meets innovation and they run into necessity.  I had a good bit of the pecan pie topping leftover from the Pecan Pie Cookies and I didn't want to see it go to waste.  I thought it would make a good topping for something with apples, maybe a bread.  Then Cindy texted me that she and her brood were coming over (they were invited) and I knew I needed to make a dessert for the occasion (since I was in the middle of making holiday cookies so I knew they'd be disappointed seeing all the tasty goodies on the racks but not allowed to eat them).  So I quickly put together these Apple Blondies and used the remaining pecan topping to create this delicious treat.

The apples keep the bars moist without them being gooey and the pecan topping is a very subtle nuttiness.  The cinnamon and spice in the blondie compliment the crunchy brown sugar top.  And they are delicious with or without a bit of vanilla ice cream.  A clever fall combination of flavors if you want to do some more apple baking before the orchards are empty.



Apple Blondies with Pecan Pie Topping


Ingredients

6 Tablespoons butter
1 Cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking spice (or some combination of nutmeg/cloves/allspice)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 apple (I used Macintosh)
1/2 recipe for pecan pie topping

In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter and allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Add brown sugar and beat until smooth.  Add egg, then vanilla, beating constantly to temper, until incorporated.  Add flour, cinnamon, baking spice, salt and baking powder and stir until combined.


Peel and chop the apple. 


Stir into batter.  Turn batter into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan. 


Spread pecan pie topping evenly over the batter.


Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until middle is set and edges are lightly browned.  Note: I ended up checking my pan every few minutes after 30 minutes, jiggling the pan slightly until it was completely set (like the method I use for my Brownies).


Allow to cool completely and cut into bars.

Makes 16 bars.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

Printer Friendly Recipe

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment