Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies


Oh brownies, how I love to make you even better.  I'd given some of the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars to my in-laws and learned they lasted mere minutes in their house.  So when Dave and I went over for dinner later in the week, I knew a pumpkin flavored dessert was in order.  These are based on my Brownies recipe, and the pumpkin is a perfect match for the fudgy and moist brownies.  I love how they look, they taste magnificent and the balance of pumpkin to chocolate is ideal.  Dave loved how the pumpkin was clear and definitive without tasting like pumpkin pie.

Stumbling around the web for pumpkin flavored desserts, I saw the idea of these at Betty Crocker.  I used that recipe to create the filling, but the brownies come from my previously posted Brownies (rather than a box.  But by all means, use a box if that's what you want to do.)  If you're having a Halloween celebration, you can't miss with this recipe.  The colors and flavors are perfect, you get enough for a crowd and the colors work with the holiday theme as well.  I do note below that I would have made one change to the preparation of the filling (and I should have recognized to do that before I made the filling, but oops), but otherwise, these are perfect.



Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies


Ingredients

2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups and 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 eggs
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 short cup flour (1 cup minus 1 Tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Cream together butter and 2 cups sugar.  Add the vanilla and mix until smooth.  Beat 4 eggs and add to the creamed mixture and mix well, scraping sides of bowl if necessary.


In a separate bowl, sift together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt.


Switching to a paddle attachment, gradually add to the wet ingredients, mixing well after each addition.  Fold in the chocolate chips.


Liberally grease a 9 x 13 inch pan (I used a heavy dose of cooking spray).  Pour 3/4 of the batter into pan and smooth evenly.


In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth (I didn't do this because I spaced on it.  My pictures reflect me mixing all the filling ingredients together.)  Add pumpkin, 3 Tablespoons sugar, remaining egg, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix on low until smooth.



Spoon pumpkin filling evenly over the pan of brownies.  Then spoon remaining brownie batter over the pumpkin filling.  Use a knife or spatulas to swirl and create a marbled design.


Bake at 350 degrees F on the middle rack for about 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and jiggle the pan; if the middle jiggles sloppily, put it back in the oven and bake for 2-4 minutes.  Keep doing this until cracks just start to appear and the middle JUST stops jiggling.  (I baked for 45 minutes, in 4 minute increments after 25 minutes.)


Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.  When completely cool, cut into squares.

Oops.  I completely forgot to take a picture when they came out of the oven.  And before I cut them.  And before we ate (almost) half the pan.  Sorry.

Makes 24 brownies.

Happy Baking,
The Cookie Princess

Printer Friendly Recipe

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This is the perfect way to amp up the flavor of brownies. The addition of the pumpkin and cheesecake sounds delicious. I can see why 1/2 of a pan disappeared so quickly. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I would like to have a pan full of these delivered to my house. I am loving all of the chocolate and pumpkin combo recipes this year. Why didn't anyone let me in on that secret till 2011?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! These really were pretty amazing. I hadn't realized the awesomeness of the chocolate-pumpkin thing until recently but I'm so glad I tried it out!

    ReplyDelete